Adopting is a very serious commitment that involves a lot of time, energy, patience, and love. There is also a financial commitment to bringing a dog into your life and providing proper nutrition, animal care services such as grooming, day care, and veterinary care. Please consider this before applying, as we will talk to you about it. Also note that we have a $15 NON-REFUNDABLE application fee which must be paid in order for your application to be submitted for review.
- You must be at least 21 years of age to adopt from A&BESR
- Your vet must confirm that you meet the standard of care for your pets. For dogs, you must be current for all core vaccines, as well as annual visits for wellness care. Core vaccines include Rabies, & Parvo, Distemper, Lepto (DHPP or DHLPP).
- If you do not have a current vet, we expect that you have done research on who you will likely use & the approximate costs involved for care.
- We require that any dogs currently in your home (and any owned in the past 3 years) have proof of a heartworm test being done in the last 12 months, and proof of heartworm preventative being given, unless not recommended by local vets. Please make sure your pets are up to date on wellness checks and preventatives for Heartworm, Fleas, and Ticks.
- Please view the following very short video on heartworm in dogs
- Puppy up to 1 year: $450
- Dogs ages 1 – 6 years old: $350
- Dogs ages 7 – 10 years old: $250
- Dogs age 11 & up: sliding scale determined by the Board on a case by case basis
Before transport or transfer of any adopted dog, the FULL adoption fees and signed contract MUST be submitted.
Above and Beyond English Setter Rescue coordinates and arranges all of our own transportation for our setters – those coming into rescue and those headed to their forever homes. Our Transport Coordinators work with an amazing network of volunteers across the country, and we can transport our setters almost anywhere in the Continental U.S. within a 1000-mile* distance, at no cost to our adopters. For adopters in Canada, Maine, New Hampshire & Massachusetts, we will arrange transport to the nearest state border to your home city. Interstate transport of dogs by Above and Beyond English Setter Rescue to adopters requires a nominal fee of $50.00 for an Interstate Health Certificate (required by law). Typically, we are able to transport your adopted dog to within 2 hours of your home.
*Dogs can be adopted outside the 1000-mile transport distance; however, adopters must be willing to either fly their adopted dog, drive to a location within the 1000 mile transport range, or make independent transport arrangements for their adopted dog.
International Rescue Requirements
Note that our international dogs have special medical testing requirements. In these countries, Leishmaniasis is endemic. While all our dogs test negative before coming to the US, the parasite can remain dormant in their system for many years, so potential adopters must be willing to commit to annual testing for the next 7 years. Typically, the test needs to be sent to a special lab, but any regular vet can draw the blood and send it to the lab. The cost of the test seems to vary widely by area, but is approximately $150-$200.
At this time, we do not require a fence, however we do look to make sure you have an adequate exercise plan in place for your new setter. The lack of a fence (physical or invisible) may make finding an appropriate dog for you a bit more challenging. Please note that each dog is different and requirements can vary from dog to dog. This information will be disclosed in their bio. The use of a tie out is strongly discouraged. Also, we ask you to carefully consider the use of dog walkers, dog parks, doggy day care, & other means to provide relief & activity for your dog if they are alone during long working hours.